The roof is one of the most important parts of the house. It protects both the home and everything/everyone under it from harsh weather, among other elements. Although an essential part of the house, many people forget all about it until it starts to leak or even worse, shows signs of caving in. Making it a habit of inspecting the roof for damage once in a while can help prevent the worst from happening. The first step to avoiding roof damage, however, starts with identifying factors that contribute/facilitate to the same. Here are some of the most common causes of roof damage in many homes today.
1. Tree Limbs and Branches: Tree limbs and branches are the most common causes of roof damage in most homes. An overhanging branch may snap falling onto the roof, causing extensive damage. The branch could snap due to a storm, strong winds, or heavy ice and snow. A dead branch poses an even more significant threat to your home and roof. Debris from these trees such as leaves and twigs may accumulate over time on the room contributing to roof damage. Trimming all/any branches hanging above the roof is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of a damaged roof.
2. Weather: Bad weather is one of the leading causes of roof damage in many stastes. Hail, snow, strong winds, as well as scorching temperatures, pose a considerable risk to your roof. These weather elements gradually affect/erode the integrity of your roofing shingles causing them to wear out faster than anticipated. Frequent storms soften the shingles while episodes of hot weather cause the same to dry rapidly, increasing the risk of a leak or a caved-in roof in Eagan, MN.
3. Animals and Birds: Depending on your geographical location, squirrels, woodpeckers, mice, raccoons, bats, rats, domestic cats, as well as nesting birds can cause extensive damage to your otherwise perfect roof. These animals and birds will tear your roof just to gain entry or even make a home on the same. For this reason, it wouldn’t be advisable to allow birds to nest on your roof. Inspect the roof occasionally to ensure these animals don’t damage the roof.
4. Damaged Gutters: Gutters play an essential role in directing water away from the foundation, and most importantly, the roof. Damaged or clogged gutters won’t serve the purpose as they are supposed to, hence cause water to force its way into the roof. Pools of water in the gutters and the roof will only cause the roofing shingles to soften/weaken, leading to a potential leak. This, of course, depends on the roofing style and its construction. Inspecting the gutters and replacing damaged ones (and cleaning them) is a better way to reduce the risk of roof damage.
5. Water Damage: A simple leak in the roof can cause extensive damage to the roof if not detected on time. The leak might be as a result of animals nesting in the roof, or lack of proper insulation in the attic. Any moisture buildup in the attic and the roof creates the perfect environment for mold and mildew growth.
Proper maintenance and care for your roof are some of the best ways to protect your roof from damage. Be sure to have any form of roof damage fixed quickly by a certified roofing expert.
Or call: (612) 712-2877